Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky once said that, "A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be." The best part of this quote is not that Wayne Gretzky said it or that it is about hockey. The best part of the quote is that these same words can be attributed to any sport, job or part of life. This is the reason that corporate sporting events
are so useful for business success.The concept of team building within the corporate environment is more than a buzzword. This is the idea in which employees are viewed as members of interdependent teams instead of as individual workers. This is not exclusive to business as it can be found in many areas like sports, schools, hospitals, non-profit organizations and religious groups. Team building has tremendous benefits that lead to improved self-development, positive communication, leadership skills and the ability to work closely together as a team to solve problems.
Corporate Sporting Events Benefits
Through corporate sporting events, team building
is put into actual practice through competition and fun engagement. There are plenty of reasons why sporting events within a team building philosophy is beneficial.1. Instill Discipline
- Sports have always been said to teach discipline through rigorous practice and willingness to work as a team. It takes discipline to learn the skills in order to maximize performance. As team members go through different outdoor team building activities
that stress sporting themes they are working through developing strong discipline to stay on task, work hard, and enjoy the process.2. Sacrifice
- Any athlete knows what sacrifice is. However, the business world does not usually stress sacrifice on a personal level in order for the entire corporation to move forward. Corporate sporting events lead team members into valuing sacrifice as a way to succeed. This sacrifice is not on the same level as hard athletic training, but has some similarities. Sacrifices in personal achievements, stretching boundaries, putting larger vision in place are normal to a business team building environment.3. Teamwork
- At its very essence team building is about participating in a shared, group working environment that will require teamwork to be a success. For the best example of this, team sports is the perfect model in which to learn the basics combining efforts of a collective in order to create an environment of success. The importance of the team then supersedes the recognition of individual accomplishments. Through teamwork - with the larger corporate vision and success in mind - greater levels of success are achieved on a sustained basis.4. Dealing with Failure (and Success)
- Corporate sporting events are a powerful way to help people deal with both the failures found in business and the successes. It is common in the sporting world to see a lot of "smack talk" and putting down the other team when they lose. This is unacceptable at any level, but can only be taught how to deal with it through actual practice. Transitioning to a business mindset, sporting events then can help with dealing with the emotions when a project fails.5. Overcoming Adversity
- Many of the principles that are taught through team building games and activities
can also be used in every day life. Business, like life, isn’t fair sometimes. Many things can happen that involves overcoming setbacks and other adversity. Team members can learn how to overcome adversity and temporary failures through the many situations they learn through corporate sporting events, both in their preparation and during the competitions. Learning to overcome adversity is a mental skill that can serve participants well through both their business and personal lives.Corporate sporting events are very useful for business success because of the many different benefits associated with them. Through competitive events, great businesses are playing there the puck is going to be.