The phrase "team building games
" is something that many people in the corporate world like to opine about. There are plenty of books, websites, and magazine articles dedicated to the concept and the philosophy of the importance of team building and using team building games in corporate life for continued success. What is important to realize about team building games is that they are simply tools used to reach desired goals.Anytime an organization decides to implement team building into their corporate structure there are plenty of questions that need to be asked as part of an overall plan. Some questions that should be asked are:
- What is the overall goal of the team building games?
- Who should be on specific teams?
- What type of activities will lead to required results?
- How should teams interact together/with each other?
These questions are not just things to fill up a team information meeting, but questions that are incorporated into an overall strategic goal. Team building games are a lot of fun when done right. However, the games are just a means to an end. The goals that are reached are the gauges of success.
Use Team Building Games Within Strategic Goals
Having a strategy in place to improve the skills needed to reach the top, or stay atop, the corporate world is the limiting factor in success or failure of the initiative in team building.Typically corporate team building exercises are used to build relationships, break down barriers and to get people to engage with each other in different ways and through different means. A strategy in place for how these things happen can lead the team building hosts
in making better choices for games and challenges.What should your teams look like? What goals should you be strategic about? Here are a few tips to help you answer those questions. Choose the right team
- One part of your strategy is to make sure the right people are on the right teams. Different skills sets and relational abilities make up any team. Putting a right mix of these attributes into a team will help the entire team succeed. Observe weaknesses
- A long term team building initiative requires that your goals include building up weaknesses. This can be done through observing the team members through normal work days and adversities. Incorporate team building games to work on these weaknesses. Communicate corporate goals
- A strategy is only as good as the communication of it. Every team within the corporate structure should know of the overall corporate goals. This means the individual teams that are working in each department, office, or region. Team building games that also incorporate means to work towards an overall goal (while doing their own separate part) will help communicate the corporate goals in a much more practical way.Strategy is the foundation of any organizational success. The use of team building games within that strategy multiplies that success incrementally. As you develop team building events, or work with team building hosts
, develop an overall strategy through key questions and the above tips. You'll soon see measured success as each goal is met.